“The early bird catches the worm.” A lot of successful people swear by the fact that waking up early makes you more successful. They call it their secret weapon to achieving their goals. Personally, I believe there’s no such thing as a ‘morning person,’ because different people function at different interval in the day. I’m an early bird and a night owl-I’m up early and usually up til the stroke of midnight or beyond if I need be.
There are, however, certain advantages to starting your day early. But even as human beings, there are plenty of reasons for you to forget you have a snooze button and start your day a little earlier; yet few people take advantage of early morning.
7 advantages of greeting the sun
1. Waking up early may not give you more energy than waking up later, what it will do is give you more time in the day to expand your energy and motivation. The later you wake up, in theory, the less time you have before you lose your motivation and get distracted. Once the evening comes around, no one really wants to be working. Especially not when friends, neighbours, and/or children want to spend time with you. Wake up earlier, get more done when you feel like getting things done, and then have more time to live a little.
2. Starting your day off in a hurry can be stressful. Having to rush your day at any point leaves you feeling flustered and drained. Take your time in the mornings to do……..nothing! Get ready slowly. Have breakfast while seated at a table instead of mid-commute. Meditate or just breathe in the morning air.
3. Mornings are a great time to get personal things done – things you don’t need anyone else to help you with or to contribute to. Respond to emails. Do some quick decluttering or organising. Do all the things that you know that you won’t want to do once you get home from work. Rise with the birds and do all the things you don’t usually enjoy doing early, allowing time to enjoy the rest of your day the way it was meant to be enjoyed.
4. Crossing a few things off your list early in the day will give you a nice feeling of accomplishment, fuelling you for the remainder of the day while simultaneously giving you peace of mind. You’ll also be able to check a few things off your to-do list, making you especially productive and accomplished.
5. Starting early usually means finishing early. As adults, we have a lot of responsibilities. There is always work to be done and always things that we would rather be doing instead. Waking up in the early hours of the day should allow you more time later in the day to do whatever it is that you want to do – Managing your time wisely by starting early can very well lead you to hate your life a little less.
6. You’ll literally experience a side of life you haven’t experienced before. As human beings, we are creatures of habit. And as such, we like to follow routines that we have created for ourselves. The problem with such routines is that forgetting about the fact that they are usually unhealthy, they only allow you one version of reality.
7. Getting up earlier allows for more alone time – time that too few people give importance to. Having a few extra hours in the day when you don’t have to pretend to be someone you’re not when you don’t have to watch your every move, your every word, will give you a new a redefined sense of self. You will feel better about yourself and feel happier overall. We get trapped in the rat race that is life. These morning hours are a time for you to simply be yourself.
The sure secret to success is spending your time wisely and taking advantage of every minute of the day.