In Greek Mythology Atlas was a Titian who was condemned by by Zeus to eternally stand on the Western side of Gaea or Earth supporting the Sky on his shoulders; the most popular contemporary depiction is of Atlas holding the Earth on his shoulders, is a common misconception of the mythological figure. However, the message is the same, he has weighty task of supporting all that weight on his shoulders.
In real life people condemn themselves; they carry around the what seem to be the weight of the world or sky in this case, on their shoulders. Over the years I’ve found that friends, family, acquaintances, strangers all have had the same set of complaints:
1. Either everything in their life is going completely wrong, or one major thing in their life has collapsed completely.
2. They feel stuck; either in their life, a dead end job or an addiction
3. They feel uncertain about their future
4. They feel unsecured about their finances (don’t we all?)
5. They are reevaluating their relationships with friends, family or their partner
6. Some simply feel lost; as they’ve either abandoned their spiritual path or they’re trying to find one
Condemning yourself to carry around unnecessary baggage kills the spirit. I’m not saying these worries are not valid, because at some point in our lives we all have had one, two or maybe all of these weighing on our shoulders. But the moment your beliefs begin to separate you from everyone else, it becomes personal to you. You condemn yourself to that space holding the weight of the world on your shoulders. You keep yourself in isolation by thinking this is only happening to me! When in truth it’s not!
When the world turns upside down, you have to stand up. Make a list of everything that’s weighing you down and reevaluate your situation. Trust me, it’s never as bad as it seems.
-Accept the things you can’t change!
-The only way to get unstuck is to keep moving forward, hold on to that dead job until you find a better one-life moves fast so you have to keep up!
– Live in the present!
– Even the wealthiest person on the planet worries about their finances!
-If a relationship isn’t making you a better person, let it go!
-Spiritually everyone is seeking something, find a path that’s right for you and follow it. Believing in something is better than believing in nothing!
©Etta D. Richards